February is African Heritage Month
Information on this page is brought to you by the: Nova Scotia Provincial Library
February is African Heritage Month. Nova Scotia has more than 48 Historic Black communities, and each year public libraries across the province celebrate the history, heritage and contributions of African Nova Scotians with programs and collections that highlight African heritage and the contributions made to the culture of Nova Scotia.
The theme for African Heritage Month 2017 is: “Passing the Torch…African Nova Scotians and the Next 150”. This year’s theme honours past and present legacies of African Nova Scotians while looking forward to future greatness.
Public libraries are celebrating and adopting African heritage themes into a number of programs including: lectures, film screenings, crafts, puppet shows, book discussions, book displays, and more. Find out what’s happening at your local library and join the celebration.
To find your local library, visit: www.publiclibraries.ns.ca
Booklist of materials written by or about African Nova Scotians:
- And I alone escaped to tell you / Sylvia Hamilton. Gaspereau Press, 2014.
- Baskets of Black Nova Scotians / Joleen Gordon. Nova Scotia Museum, 2013.
- The black battalion: 1916-1920: Canada's best kept military secret / Calvin W. Ruck. Nimbus Publishing, c2016.
- Burnley "Rocky" Jones: revolutionary: an autobiography / by Burnley "Rocky" Jones and James W. St.G. Walker. Roseway Publishing, an imprint of Fernwood Publishing, 2016.
- Historic Black Nova Scotia / Bridglal Pachai & Henry Bishop. Nimbus, 2006.
- If this is freedom: a novel / Gloria Ann Wesley. Roseway Publishing, 2013.
- Live from the Afrikan resistance! / El Jones. Roseway, 2014.
- The motorcyclist / George Elliott Clarke. HarperCollins Publishers Ltd., 2016.
- Sister to courage: stories from the world of Viola Desmond, Canada's Rosa Parks / Wanda Robson with Ronald Caplan. Breton Books, c2010.
- They called me Chocolate Rocket: the life and times of John Paris, Jr., hockey's first Black professional coach / John Paris, Jr. with Robert Ashe. Formac Publishing Company Limited 2014.
- The times of African Nova Scotians. Volume two: a celebration of our history, heritage and culture / Delmore "Buddy" Daye Learning Institute, .
- Viola Desmond's Canada: a history of blacks and racial segregation in the promised land / Graham Reynolds with Wanda Robson. Fernwood Publishing, 2016.
- Winds of change: the life and legacy of Calvin W. Ruck / Lindsay R. Ruck. Pottersfield Press, 2014.
Kids & Teens:
- Abigail's wish / story by Gloria Ann Wesley; art by Richard Rudnicki. Nimbus Publishing, c2016.
- Birchtown and the Black Loyalists / Wanda Lauren Taylor. Nimbus Publishing, c2014.
- Children of Africville / Christine Welldon. Nimbus, 2009.
- Lasso the Wind / text by George Elliott Clarke; illustrations by Susan Tooke. Nimbus Publishing, c2013.
- Mayann's train ride / text by the Honourable Mayann Francis; art by Tamara Thiébaux-Heikalo. Nimbus Publishing, c2015.
- Singing towards the future: the story of Portia White / by Lian Goodall; illustrations by Liz Milkau. Napoleon, c2004.
- Up home / story by Shauntay Grant; artwork by Susan Tooke. Nimbus Publishing, c2008.
- Viola Desmond won't be budged / Jody Nyasha Warner; pictures by Richard Rudnicki. Groundwood Books, c2010.
E- Booklists of materials about African Heritage:
- E-Books – Celebrating African Heritage (adult books) - https://novascotia.overdrive.com/collection/31527
- E-Books – Celebrating African Heritage (kids & teens) - https://novascotia.overdrive.com/library/youth/collection/76031
- African Nova Scotian – resources from the Halifax Public Libraries - http://www.halifaxpubliclibraries.ca/assets/files/african-heritage/afric...
Some other links you will enjoy include:
- African Nova Scotian Affairs - https://ansa.novascotia.ca/
- Nova Scotia Archives – African Nova Scotians - https://novascotia.ca/archives/virtual/?Search=THans&List=all
- NS Museum – African Nova Scotians - https://museum.novascotia.ca/resources/african-nova-scotians
- Black Loyalist Heritage Centre - https://blackloyalist.novascotia.ca/
- Black Cultural Centre for Nova Scotia - http://web1.bccnsweb.com/
- Black History Month – Government of Canada - https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/campaigns/black-history-month...
- Black History Canada – Historica Canada - http://www.blackhistorycanada.ca
- Black Halifax – Stories From Here - http://blackhalifax.com/
- Black History of Nova Scotia – a chronology of key events and achievements - http://ahm.halifaxpubliclibraries.ca/timelines/black-history-of-nova-sco...