African Nova Scotian Affairs is a vital link that connects government and the African Nova Scotian community. ANSA promotes understanding of African Nova Scotian issues; draws attention to the priorities that matter to communities; and supports concerns that need be addressed. These efforts are essential to help government better serve African Nova Scotians.
African Nova Scotian Affairs will build on government and community successes to promote and facilitate positive change on behalf of all Nova Scotians of African descent.
African Nova Scotian Affairs will assist, support and enhance the provincial government's delivery of services to African Nova Scotians, and be a partner in developing innovative solutions that lead to self-reliance and sustainable development for African Nova Scotians and their communities.
To fulfill its mission and realize its vision, African Nova Scotian Affairs will:
- Create and promote an integrated approach within government on matters related to African Nova Scotian communities in the province.
- Represent the interests of the province in intergovernmental initiatives and negotiations on matters integral to the interests of African Nova Scotians.
- Provide research analysis and policy advice on African Nova Scotian issues.
- Develop communication strategies and public education to increase understanding about African Nova Scotian issues, the culture and heritage, and the lived experience.
The work of African Nova Scotian Affairs is driven by several strategic platforms:
- To facilitate an integrated approach within government on matters related to African Nova Scotian issues, and provide corporate policy, strategic advice, and support to departments in order to build a sustainable framework for government relations.
- To work collaboratively with the African Nova Scotian Community to foster development and capacity building.
- To enhance awareness and understanding of African Nova Scotian experiences to government and society.